Print this page

January 12th, 2010

Regular Board Meeting

Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.

PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923

January 12th, 2010 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes

(Note: bold items within paragraphs are motions made and voted on as well as action items agreed upon) 
Board Member Attendees:                                        

  • Eileen Carney
  • Dr. Brad Black
  • Nancy Hogan
  • Donna Martin
  • Phillip Erquiaga
  • LeRoy Thom
  • Mike Noble
  • JoElyn Brus
Guest Attendees:
  • Ted Linnert EPA
  • Dick Sloan DEQ
  • Catherine LeCours DEQ (by phone)
  • Robin Benson LCC
  • D. C. Orr
  • Vanessa Holder
Contractor Attendees:
  • LATAG Tec. Advisor – Terry Spear (by phone)
1. Meeting began at approximately 7:10 p.m.
2. EPA Report: Ted Linnert reported that the construction season is at an end. ERS is handling calls for cleaning and removal. Stinger Central Maintenance Building: cut in and vermiculite taken out. They will start on the Libby Hotel in March. There will be a public meeting on February 8 to give the annual up date talk about the construction season and schools. They will meet with the school board before the public meeting.
3. DEQ: Catherine reported that they are working with the EPA and have submitted comments on OU1 and OU2. They are looking at sampling and analysis plan for OU4 and OU7. They will streamline the process to cause fewer disruptions to homeowners.
Properties for removal action:
  • 75 interior for removal of attic insulation.
  • 20 exterior for soil and 15-20 combinations.
They have inspected 78% of the properties identified in OU7. In sampling roads and alleys, they found nothing of concern. They will hold a public meeting maybe on March 10 to tell what they have found in their investigation.
Troy Schools: the high school has had removal done. The elementary school has nothing outside but there is some material in the walls but it is contained. They have not done any activity based sampling nor are there plans to do any.
Phillip asked about mold problems in homes cleaned by the EPA. Ted  Linnert said some older places do not have attic vents. They are not supposed to improve the property. When they seal the attic after cleanup it might keep the mold inside. Some have put visquine over the vents, this exacerbates the mold problem.
Minutes: Phillip made a motion to approve. Nancy seconded. Approved after correcting typos.
Treasurer’s report: We have 53,000 in grant money.
Committee Reports:
  1. Technical Advisory committee:  - Dr. Black: the TA report was presented to the City/County Health Board and got a favorable response. They have approved the comments. Terry will not comment to individuals but they must work through the TAG rather than asking Terry questions. Dr. Black will arrange a meeting between Terry, Dave Berry and any TAG members who want to attend. It will be announced in the paper.
  2. Communications: There has been no response to the report which was posted on the website. He has distributed it to our senators and representatives.
  3. Nominations: There are two positions open on the board. LeRoy nominated Mike to be the chair and Phillip seconded. JoElyn nominated Eileen for secretary and Phillip seconded. We need a committee to sit down with the DEQ to clarify what is happening in Troy. We should invite the city, county, CAG and any other interested parties.
Old Business:
  1. Grant Administrator: Mike had three calls, resumes are coming.
  2. In Kind: Donna will email the forms to be turned in. There are no forms for the past two months.
  3. Minutes: Donna has found copies for July and August. We are still missing September and October.
New Business:
  1. Buy a computer: Mike reported that we need a laptop for the grant administrator. It has been difficult to get information from former administrators.
  2. Phillip suggested an external hard drive with all documents backed up. Brad made a motion to buy a computer and backup the hard drive. Seconded by Nancy. Motion carried. We need to modify the contract.
  3. Donna reported that the computer has a Windows operating system and the Dell is incompatible with it. The committee will handle the problems. JoElyn will chair, Donna, Phillip and David Murphy will work on the committee.
  4. Mike has room in a building he owns for a permanent office where everything could be stored and reports worked on. Rather than in a private house. Then records would always be available. The decision will be made after someone is hired.
  5. An audit needs to be done.
  6. Bruce Zwang will do the taxes. JoElyn will get everything ready.
JoElyn moved to close the Regular Board meeting at 9:00 p.m.  Phillip seconded. Motion carried.
An Executive Board Meeting was opened at 9:07.
LeRoy nominated Mike Noble for chair. Phillip seconded. Nominations were closed.
JoElyn nominated Eileen for secretary. Leroy seconded. Nominations were closed.
Donna moved to adjourn the meeting. The Executive Board meeting was closed at 9:1