LATAG Meeting Minutes

LATAG Meeting MinutesIf you missed a board meeting, you can still keep up to date with the progress of LATAG by reading the board member meeting minutes. The Libby Area Technical Assistance Group meeting minutes are constantly updated when the board has a new meeting and are grouped by year. Click on the date you would like to view and you can read, print, email and share the latest meeting minutes with other community members.
 You can find all the past meeting minutes in the archives here.

February 9th, 2010

  • Print
  • Email
Regular Board Meeting

Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.

PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923

February 9th, 2010 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes

(Note: bold items within paragraphs are motions made and voted on as well as action items agreed upon)

Board Member Attendees:                                        
  • Eileen Carney
  • Dr. Brad Black
  • LeRoy Thom
  • Mike Noble
  • JoElyn Brus
Guest Attendees:
  • Catherine LeCours DEQ
  • Dick Sloan DEQ
  • Ted Linnert EPA
  • Rebecca Thomas EPA
  • Deborah McKean EPA
  • David L. Berry EPA
  • Bill Murray EPA
  • Mike Cirian EPA
  • Libby Faulk EPA
  • Nicole Bein EPA

1. Meeting began at approximately 7:10 p.m.

2. EPA Report: Victor reported on the public meeting held February 8. The investigation of OU4 draft will be done in March and will be a summary of everything to date and will be updated annually from now on. All the data will be in one place. Risk assessment: the export plant and screening plant had 18 comments. He wanted to know how LATAG wishes to participate in the process. OU5 remedy will be done in 2010. The remaining will be done in 2011. OU4 data collection: TAG should look at the plan and offer suggestions. He introduced the new people on the team: Libby Faulk who will replace Ted Linnert when he retires; Deborah McKean and Nicole Bein.

Mike reported on plans for the new season. They want to streamline the process and do it in a few months have rather than in years. There is still a lot to do on the Libby Hotel and they may not be able to start soon. Asa Wood: the information has been presented to the school board. There are low levels within acceptable ranges. They took 41 samples of soil. The final report will be issued in the next couple of months.

3. DEQ: In OU7, they will continue with the Army Corps of Engineers. There are 120 properties – 75 interior and 20 exterior and the rest are both interior and exterior. They need to decide where to dispose of the waste: in Libby or Troy or a combination. They are looking at costs. March 10 they will hold a public meeting in Troy with the Army Corps of Engineers.

4. Mine site OU3: Victor reported that they are continuing investigations. They are looking at what firefighters might encounter. They are re-evaluating temporary storage for the soil.

5. Minutes: Brad made a motion to approve the minutes of the January 12 meeting. JoElyn seconded. Motion carried after some minor corrections were made.

Old Business:

  1. Computer: Dave had suggested that we get one that would be compatible with the printer. Jason will be asked for recommendations.
  2. Nominations: Leroy moved that we accept the nominations made at the last meeting. Brad seconded. Motion carried.
  3. Grant administrator: There are four applications. Mike will contact them and set up interviews for Thursday or Friday.
  4. Old minutes: JoElyn has notes for September and October. She will try to get something together on these.
  5. Quarterly reports: We need more information to put them together. We are missing reimbursement# 64 and #65. If JoElyn can find the information, she will work on the second quarter and try to get it in.
  6. Tarps covering trucks: the tarps have an overhang. The trucks from the golf course are not EPA’s Mike invited any TAG member to ride along to see if there are any leaks. The soil is wetted down before tarps are put in place. Leroy suggested we be given written information about the problem.

New Business: The remedial action objectives paper will be reviewed by Dr. Brad Black to see if he suggests that Terry be tasked to review it.

Meeting was adjourned at 8:40


Libby Vermiculite Learn what Libby Vermiculite looks like and what to do if you find it on your property.

Learn More