Print this page

Jaunuary 11th, 2011

Regular Board Meeting

Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.

PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923

January 11th, 2011 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes

(Note: bold items within paragraphs are motions made and voted on as well as action items agreed upon.)

Board Member Attendees:
  • Mike Noble
  • JoElyn Brus
  • Eileen CarneyDonna Martin
  • Phillip Erquiaga
Contractor Attendees:
  • Tracy McNew, Grant Administrator 

Guest Attendees:

  •   Dick Sloan, MT DEQ (by phone)
  • Terry Spear, Technical Advisor (by phone)

1.       Meeting began at approximately 7:30pm

2.       Introductions

3.       EPA Report- (no report)

4.       DEQ Report- Dick Sloan

a.      OU1- DEQ is going back and forth with City Council on the final design. They hope to have a final version of the design for remedial action in approx. 10 days so that they will be ready to begin in the spring. TAG will be sent a copy of the final version which will include O& M plan, long term air monitoring, and institutional control issues.

b.      OU2- Two areas need remediation were excavated, backfilled and reforested in Mid-November. CDM’s construction completion report is due at the end of February and TAG will receive a copy.

c.      OU3- Sediment control was not done with insulation of phone line along Rainy Creek. Corps and EPA did complete corrective action and a report should be available this week.   There has been a change in personnel; Bonnie has been replaced by Rebecca Thomas and Christine Progress as project leaders as of Dec. 1, 2010.  

d.      OU4- Work continues on risk assessment, non-cancer risk factor should be out soon.

e.      OU5- Focus Feasibility study should be available within about 10 days. There is an opportunity to get ready for redevelopment soon. They hope to take care of any issues this summer.

f.       OU6- Railroad has completed a remedial investigation report which should be received in the next week or so by DEQ. TAG will get a copy when EPA and DEQ receive it.

g.      OU7- The bulk of Troy’s properties have been taken care of. 30-35 have still to be addressed this season. Houses should also be completed this season.

 

5.       W.R. Grace Report: (no report)

 

6.       Special Presentations

a.       Technical Advisor Report- Terry Spear ahs no comments on OU7’s ambient air report. His activity for the 4th quarter of 2010 was reviewed.

b.       CAG Report- CAG will discuss a tentative Symposium date when they meet on Thursday.

7.       Meeting Minutes Review and Approval:

a.       A motion was made by Eileen, seconded by Phillip and unanimously passed to accept December’s meeting minutes as written.

 

8.       Treasurer’s Report (JoElyn Brus)

a.       Reimbursement #84 is being submitted.

b.       Current balance is $44,286.00

 

9.       Sub-Committee Reports

a.       Communications Committee- Phillip Erquiaga (chairperson) – A draft of the newsletter has been completed and will be sent out for approval within the next two weeks.

b.       Nomination Committee- LeRoy Thom (chairperson)

                           i.      An application has been received for Karen Horton who lives in Troy to join the board. Karen’s application was reviewed and a motion was made by Phillip seconded by Donna and unanimously passed to accept Karen as a new board member.

c.       O & M Attendance Rotation Committee- Mike Noble/ LeRoy Thom (co-chairs) – no report

d.       Technical Advisor Committee- Dr. Brad Black (chairperson)- no report

 

10.   Old Business

a.       Nominations and elections for Ad-Hoc, Chairman and Secretary. – no new nominations were made

                          i.      Nominee for Ad-Hoc is Donna Martin

                        ii.      Nominee for Chairman is Mike Noble

                      iii.      Nominee for Secretary is Eileen Carney

JoElyn made a motion to accept all nominations as written above, it was seconded by Eileen and passed unanimously.

b.       Rent for LATAG office. E-mail approval was sent to the Grant Administrator by all board members except Phillip to approve the rental agreement for the LATAG office. Phillip voiced his approval after reviewing the lease agreement. The lease will begin January 1st, 2011.  

 

11.   New Business

a.       Documents to be reviewed by Terry Spear

i. Final Q4 Memo OU7 Outdoor Ambient Air Study

ii. Characterization of Asbestos Concentrations in Background Soils in Libby

A motion was made by Eileen to send both of the above documents to Terry for review. It was seconded by Donna and passed unanimously.   Tracy will mail them.

b.       The letter inviting W.R. Grace to LATAG meetings was reviewed and approved. Tracy will mail it.       

 

12.   Open Discussion

a.       Contractor/ Employee status of the Grant Administrator was discussed. A motion was unanimously passed to have R Office handle monthly payroll. JoElyn, Mike and Tracy will schedule an appointment to set this up.   

b.       Phillip suggested that ARI Technologies be invited to Libby to present their clean up technology. Cost was discussed and Phillip will follow-up with the invitation. LATAG will not pay for any cost associated with ARI visiting Libby.

 

13.   Review and agreement on action items

a.       See attached action items that were agreed upon.

14.   Next Meeting Scheduled February 8th, 2011.

 

15.  Meeting adjourned at approximately 9:30pm.