Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.
PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923
February 8th, 2011 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes
(Note: bold items within paragraphs are motions made and voted on as well as action items agreed upon.)
Board Member Attendees:
- Mike Noble
- JoElyn Brus
- Eileen CarneyDonna Martin
- Pamela Peppenger
- Karen Horton
- Brad Black
- Tracy McNew, Grant Administrator
- Terry Spear, Technical Advisor (by phone)
- Dick Sloan, MT DEQ (by phone)
- Catherine LeCours, MT DEQ (by phone)
- Victor Ketellapper, EPA
- Dave Berry, EPA
- Mike Cirian, EPA
- Libby Faulk, EPA
- Bob Medler, WR Grace
- Bob Mirriam, WR Grace
- DC Orr
- Michelle Boltz
1. Meeting began at approximately 7:10pm
3. EPA Report-
a. Dave Berry delivered an introduction to Human Health Risk Assessment.
i. There was discussion between D.C. Orr and Victor Ketellapper regarding the cleanup process being used for the Thompson search and rescue building.
ii. Terry Spear asked if there was any progress being made toward controlled burns. EPA answered that they are looking in to use of a burn building to accomplish this.
4. DEQ Report- No Report
a. Catherine LeCours could got cut off from the phone call.
5. W.R. Grace Report: (Bob Medler and Bob Mirriam)
a. Grace is concentrating on ecological studies and looking at getting fish and amphibian toxicicity studies underway in 2011. Previously such studies have been unsuccessful because it was difficult to keep Libby Amphibole Asbestos particles suspended in water.
b. It was reported that EPA’s initial human health risk assessment for activity based sampling around the mine area from 2009-2010 yielded levels within 0.0001 using IRIS numbers.
i. Terry Spear asked if data would be reevaluated when new toxicity factors were
available and Bob answered yes.
6. Technical Advisor Report- Terry Spear reported that he has turned in his summary for the 4th quarter of 2010 and that we are continuing to work on prioritizing order of documents for review.
7. CAG Report- Dr. Black reported that he is interested in asking Aubrey Miller, M.D., M.P.H. to be the moderator for a possible public health symposium. The CAG meeting was cancelled, so there was no further report.
8. Meeting minutes were reviewed from the January 2011 TAG board meeting.
a. A motion was made by Pam, seconded by JoElyn, and unanimously passed to accept
January’s meeting minutes with one spelling correction.
9. Treasurer’s Report (JoElyn Brus)
a. Reimbursement #84 was submitted, but has not yet been received.
b. Current balance is $44,081.86
10. Sub-Committee Reports
a. Communications Committee- Phillip Erquiaga (chairperson) – No Report
b. Nomination Committee- LeRoy Thom (chairperson) – No Report
c. O & M Attendance Rotation Committee- Mike Noble/ LeRoy Thom (co-chairs) – No
d. Technical Advisor Committee- Dr. Brad Black (chairperson)- No Report
11. Old Business-
a. LATAG Newsletter- Donna Martin agreed to work on a LATAG newsletter. Tracy will email her samples of previous newsletters as a starting point.
12. New Business
a. Documents to be reviewed by Terry Spear- It was decided that the EPA’s Human Risk Assessment Power Point would not be sent to Terry Spear for review as the information covered was basic. No other new documents were received.
13. Open Discussion- None
14. Review and agreement on action items
a. See attached action items that were agreed upon.
15. Next Regular LATAG board meeting is scheduled for March 8th, 2011. The Executive board meeting is scheduled for Friday, February 18th at Noon.
16. Meeting adjourned at approximately 8:45pm.