LATAG Meeting Minutes

LATAG Meeting MinutesIf you missed a board meeting, you can still keep up to date with the progress of LATAG by reading the board member meeting minutes. The Libby Area Technical Assistance Group meeting minutes are constantly updated when the board has a new meeting and are grouped by year. Click on the date you would like to view and you can read, print, email and share the latest meeting minutes with other community members.
 You can find all the past meeting minutes in the archives here.

March 8th, 2011

  • Print
  • Email
Regular Board Meeting

Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.

PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923

March 8th, 2011 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes

(Note: bold items within paragraphs are motions made and voted on as well as action items agreed upon.)

Board Member Attendees:
  • Mike Noble
  • JoElyn Brus
  • Eileen Carney
  • LeRoy ThomDonna Martin
  • Karen Horton
  • Brad Black
Contractor/Employee Attendees:
  • Tracy McNew, Grant Administrator
  • Terry Spear, Technical Advisor (by phone)
Guest Attendees:
  • Catherine LeCours, MT DEQ )
  • Victor Ketallapper, EPA
  • Dave Berry, EPA
  • Mike Cirian, EPA
  • Libby Faulk, EPA
  • Christina Progess, EPADeborah McKean, EPA
  • Rebecca Thomas, EPA

1.       Meeting began at approximately 7:00pm

2.       Introductions were made around the room. 

3.       EPA Report-

a.      Mike C. announced that Jim Martin, the regional administrator is planning a public meeting in Libby on April 11. TAG was invited and asked to give a brief overview of their role. Libby Faulk will email the agenda when it is complete.

b.      Mike C. also reported that EPA continues to work on multiple documents that are needed prior to the construction season which should begin in Mid-April. There are approximately 100 homes with designs completed already. He discussed neighborhood mapping versus a worst first approach which was used in the past, and stated that EPA is also working on ambient air monitoring and activity based sampling.   Mike will plan a construction presentation for the May TAG meeting.

c.      Victor K added that EPA will continue to try to gain access to properties that have not been previously open. There are approximately 400 such properties.

d.      Rebecca T. discussed specifically EPA documents that are being worked on. These include a draft O&M plan for OU2, a draft O&M plan for OU1, a completion report for the screening plant remedial action, OU5 draft Focus feasibility plan, and a Remedial Investigation report for OU8.

e.      Mike C. stated that a draft human health risk assessment report will be available for OU3, but that it is still missing some ABS data related to smoke inhalation with firefighting and commercial logging

f.       Mike C. reported that there were six ERS calls in January and that their emergency response time has sped up since last year. The volume of calls is also down.

g.      Mike N. asked Dave B. if EPA has any concept of the concentration of background fibers in Libby at this time. Dave B. answered “not at this time” and went on to explain that USGS data has not yet been analyzed. 

4.       DEQ Report (Catherine LeCours)

a.      Catherine reported that Dick Sloan is no longer working on the Libby project.

b.      Voluntary recruitment is being used to encourage property owners in OU7 to allow inspections

c.      The 5th quarter report for ambient air sampling is posted on the DEQ webpage.

d.      Activity Based Sampling will start in OU7, interior data will be extrapolated from OU4, but exterior data will be collected. Plans will be available in April for TAG to review and then ABS is scheduled to start in May.

e.      DEQ plans to hold a public meeting regarding OU7 activities near the end of April. Catherine will let TAG know the date when it is set. 

5.       W.R. Grace Report: No Report    

6.       Technical Advisor Report- Terry Spear reported that he has submitted the public schools sampling review and that he received the EPA’s answers to TAGs questions regarding OU1 and OU2. 

a.      Terry questioned EPA and DEQ about the possibility of asbestos fibers on clothing being a pathway of exposure to Libby amphibole asbestos. He suggested that wet surface sampling could be done on Tyvek suits to collect data on this possible pathway rather than not addressing it at all. EPA answered that they feel this concern is being addressed by the use of both interior and exterior sampling and that enough data exists to make a good determination of cumulative risk. They also mentioned that wet surface sampling could not be correlated with data on fibers in the air.  

7.       CAG Report- Dr. Black reported that at the CAG meeting it was suggested TAG be approached to fund the planned symposium which would be held in Libby. Experts from institutions and agencies around the country would be invited to discuss technical aspects of the Libby asbestos cleanup. 

8.       Meeting minutes were reviewed from the February 2011 TAG board meeting.

a.      A motion was made by Eileen, seconded by Donna, and unanimously passed to accept February’s meeting minutes as written. 

9.       Treasurer’s Report (JoElyn Brus)

a.      Reimbursement #85 was received this week.

b.      Current balance is $40,888.86  

10.   Sub-Committee Reports

a.      Communications Committee- Phillip Erquiaga (chairperson) – No Report

b.      Nomination Committee- LeRoy Thom (chairperson) – No Report

c.      O & M Attendance Rotation Committee- Mike Noble/ LeRoy Thom (co-chairs) – It was reported that at the last meeting OU2 institutional controls were discussed. One property owner who has been out of town for an extended period of time will be contacted so that he can be updated.

d.      Technical Advisor Committee- Dr. Brad Black (chairperson)- No Report 

11.   Old Business-

a.      CAG-TAG Public Health Symposium funding- It was agreed upon that the symposium would be an appropriate event for TAG to fund. A motion was made by Donna, seconded by Karen and unanimously passed that TAG would send a letter to EPA outlining their intentions. Brad will attend the CAG meeting and find out who the letter should be sent to at the EPA.

b.      It was discussed that TAG’s 2010 taxes need to be done. Tracy will set up a meeting with the CPA to do this.

c.      It was discussed that if authorization is received by EPA to fund the symposium that a budget revision would be necessary.

d.      Donna led a discussion about what other board members would suggest for the Newsletter that she is working on.

e.      Tracy will begin work on the quarterly report for the forth quarter of 2010. 

12.   New Business

a.      Documents to be reviewed by Terry Spear- It was unanimously decided that the EPA’s response to TAG’s question regarding OU1 and OU2 should be reviewed by Terry.

b.      The board will review Terry’s report on public school’s asbestos sampling and email Tracy with their approval. 

13.   Open Discussion- It was discussed that some community concern has been expressed about regulations on private property after the clean-up is complete. Also, concern about background studies has been noted in the community. Terry confirmed that the background sampling report is high on his priority list for review. 

14.   Review and agreement on action items was completed. 

15.   An Executive Board meeting was scheduled for April 1st at Noon. 

16.   In kind hours were collected and Mike N. reminded everyone that the next TAG regular board meeting is scheduled for April 12th.  

17.   A motion was made by JoElyn, seconded by Brad and unanimously passed to adjourn the meeting at approximately 8:45PM. 

Vermiculite?

Libby Vermiculite Learn what Libby Vermiculite looks like and what to do if you find it on your property.

Learn More

E-Newsletter