Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.
PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923
October 11th, 2011 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes
(Note: bold items within paragraphs are motions made and voted on as well as action items agreed upon.)
Board Member Attendees:
- Eileen Carney, Secretary
- LeRoy Thom, Vice Chairman
- Mike Noble, Chairman
- JoElyn Brus, Treasurer
- Karen Horton
- Donna Martin, Ad-Hoc
- Pam Peppenger
- Tracy McNew, Grant Administrator
- Terry Spear, Technical Advisor
- Carolyn Rutland, MT DEQ
- John Popolinsky, MT DEQ
- David Berry, EPA
- Mike Cirian, EPA
- Libby Faulk, EPA
- Steve Wharton, EPA
- Lisa DeWitt, MT DEQ
1. Meeting began at approximately 6:00pm.
2. Introductions were made around the room.
3. EPA Report (Mike Cirian)
a) End of season construction totals include 102 properties completed, 28 ERS calls, and 105,000 cubic yards of soil removed. More than 160 property surveys were completed to prepare for next season and it is expected that total soil removed will hit 1 million cubic yards at that time. The neighborhood approach went well and was concentrated on the Park-Post-Pine area where access was only refused twice. Multiple yard call backs were also completed. Next year the neighborhood approach will start by Cedar Creek.
b) OU1- excavation work will continue for approximately 1 more week
c) OU3- 87,000 yards of soil were moved to the mine and spread over openly contaminated areas. W. R. Grace plants seeds on these soils at the end of the season.
d) OU4- a trailer court at the bottom of Whisky Hill was a challenge with 30 properties but only one owner. Trailers were cleaned around and it is requested that ERS be contacted if any trailer is moved in the future. LeRoy asked how deep the soil is generally removed, and how close to the trailers. Mike answered 12 inches and right up against the skirting. He states that a physical barrier is used for future reference
e) OU5- an ERS call resulted in a large one acre excavation. ABS sampling results from wood chip piles were asked about by TAG so that they could be reviewed by Terry. Steve stated that it would be sent to TAG when ready. Terry asked if there were any fiber counts and Mike answered that they were right on the detection limits.
f) OU8- a small dig was completed in this area
g) Water sampling is being conducted to evaluate the use of river water for decontamination because the city does not want water trucks constantly moving in and out of Riverfront Park.
h) Asbestos contamination was found inside a water tank at a removal site this season. This tank was pulled out of service and best management practices are being addressed.
i) Mike clarified that EPA is not spending tax payer money, but settlement money for these projects and that HEPA filters are used versus gas masks. He stated that misinformation was printed recently in the Kootenai Valley Record.
j) Eileen asked about her property and Mike responded that sources of contamination are unknown, but that visible vermiculite in a special use area such as a gravel driveway does trigger clean-up.
k) Libby F. reported that changers are being made to the EPA Libby website. These include a calendar, feedback form, simplified FAQs and a newsfeed that can be subscribed to.
4. DEQ Report- John Popolinsky
a) DEQ’s office hours have changed for the winter to Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday only. Analysis of data collected in August has not yet been received. An end of season meeting is being held with Tetra Tech, and a task order has been drawn up for them to draft duff and bark samples associated with timber sales. Investigation continues regarding a complaint about contamination of the Rainy Creek area from creek overflow and high fiber counts. Water quality standards are based on area use.
5. W.R. Grace Report (No Report)
6. Special Presentations
a) Technical Advisor Report – Terry continues to work on his report of the draft toxicity values.
7. Meeting minutes from September 2011 were reviewed and unanimously approved.
8. Treasurer’s Report –JoElyn Brus
Balance is $30,540.86 as of reimbursement 92.
9. Sub-Committee Reports
a) Communications Committee- Phillip Erquiaga (Chairperson) – No Report.
b) Nomination Committee- LeRoy Thom (Chairperson) – No Report
c) O&M Attendance Rotation Committee- Mike N./LeRoy T. (Co-chairs) – Donna stated that there was no meeting in October and she will try to attend next month.
d) Technical Advisor Committee- Dr. Brad Black (Chairperson) – No Report.
10. Old Business
a) Newsletter- Donna continues to work on the newsletter.
b) Symposium – Everything is in order for the symposium later this week. 22 experts are scheduled to present.
11. New Business (None)
a) FSRs are being requested from Linda A for 2008 to present. JoElyn and Tracy agreed to work on them in November as Tracy will be in New York for the rest of October.
12. Open Discussion
a) It was agreed that Terry S. would meet with Dave B. and review Mel Parker’s concerns while he is in town for the symposium
13. Action items were reviewed and agreed upon, but no executive board meeting was scheduled because of multiple members with travel plans this month.
14. In kind hours were submitted.
15. The next regular board meeting will be Tuesday November, 8th 2011 at the College.
16. The meeting was ended with unanimous approval at approximately 7:35PM