LATAG Meeting Minutes

LATAG Meeting MinutesIf you missed a board meeting, you can still keep up to date with the progress of LATAG by reading the board member meeting minutes. The Libby Area Technical Assistance Group meeting minutes are constantly updated when the board has a new meeting and are grouped by year. Click on the date you would like to view and you can read, print, email and share the latest meeting minutes with other community members.
 You can find all the past meeting minutes in the archives here.

February 7th, 2012

  • Print
  • Email
Regular Board Meeting

Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.

PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923

February 7th, 2012 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes

(Note: bold items within paragraphs are motions made and voted on.)

Board Member Attendees:
  • Eileen Carney, Secretary
  • LeRoy Thom, Vice Chairman
  • Mike Noble, Chairman
  • JoElyn Brus, Treasurer
  • Brad Black
  • Karen Horton
  • Donna Martin, Ad-Hoc
Contractor/Employee Attendees:
  • Tracy McNew, Grant Administrator
Guest Attendees:
  • Carolyn Rutland, MT DEQ
  • John Podolinsky, MT DEQ
  • Christina Progess, EPA
  • Rebecca Thomas, EPA
  • Liz Fagen, EPA
  • Mike Cirian, EPA
  • Libby Faulk, EPA          
  1. Meeting began at approximately 6:05pm.
  2. Introductions were made around the room.
  3. EPA Report:
    1. General Updates
      1. A meeting with the school board is scheduled for Monday night regarding Asa Wood.  EPA is currently doing cost estimates for possible demoltion of building.
      2. ERS remains active and two calls received this winter will become full clean ups.
      3. There was a recent planning meeting.  Clean-up will continue with a neighborhood approach to reduce cross contamination.  This approach uses zones and geo-units versus residences. This will change the count as a trailer court will be considered 1 geo-unit even if it is 20 residences.
      4. LeRoy asked about how these properties would be cleaned in the future and how it would be paid for if, for example, a trailer were moved.  Mike discussed having institutional controls meetings with the owners and the possibility of having a deed notice tied to the properties.  Mike stated that money will be set aside for future ERS.  EPA is working with the City/County board of health on how to implement institution controls.  This and the possibility of  a cooperative agreement between the two parties will be discussed at a meeting scheduled for 3PM tomorrow.
      5. CAG will be changing their meeting time beginning in March to follow the TAG meeting.  The EPA report will be shared then between both CAG and TAG.  CAG will be assuming the primary role of providing education and information to the community.
      6. Rebecca Thomas reported that the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) for the draft toxicity values for Libby Amphibole (LA) is meeting this week.  She stated that once the meetings are over, it will likely take at least 6 mos. before any information is released.  Dr. Black expressed concern and disappointment over a lack of clinicians familiar with the health effects of LA represented on the SAB.  Rebecca agreed to pass on his concerns within the EPA.  
      7. A public meeting is tentatively scheduled for May 8th.  This year it will include a short presentation with tables available after for more in depth discussion by topic.
      8. Landscaping and demo plots will be put in front of the CDM building and a course is being prepared to offer at the college on establishing good vegetation.
    2. Reports by OU:
      1. OU1: Riverfront park work may start in late February, most other work will start around April 15th.
      2. OU5: The draft RI report for Stimson is being revised, and Rebecca reported that the results from testing the wood chips are all good news.
      3. OU6: BNSF has received a draft RI/feasibility study order and has 60 days to respond to EPA.
      4. OU8: State Highways draft RI has been sent for internal review
      5. OU3: Christina Progess reported that fish and amphibian collection, tissue analysis, and caged fish studies continue to be planned.  It is hoped that these studies will lead to a “do not exceed” value for LA.  
    3. Site Wide
      1. A sampling plan has been developed to assess risk to commercial loggers.  It may be implemented this summer and then in the winter for comparison.
      2. Bark and duff will be sampled throughouth the Kootenai valley at various locations
      3. ABS sampling on the Kootenai river is planned, senarios will be determined  beginning with outfitters who likely have the highest exposure.
      4. A fire incident management group has been formed to plan fire response.  There will be a plan on how to protect the public from risk if wildfires concur and there will also be a monitoring strategy for air sampling both stationary and with monitors on people.
      5. Water sampling is being done to find an alternative water source for dust control and decontamination during construction.  The city doesn’t want the park being used by commercial vehicles once it is finished. 
  4. DEQ Report- John Podolinsky and Carolyn Rutland
    1. DEQ continues to work with EPA on all site activities.
    2. DEQ is working to find water sources in Troy just as EPA is in Libby.
    3. A bark and duff report has been finalized and they will send TAG a copy
    4. DEQ is working on gathering EPA funding to test wood at landfills related to proposed grinding.
  5. W.R. Grace Report (No Report)
  6. Special Presentations (None)
  7. Meeting minutes form January 2011 were reviewed and unanimously approved.  Meeting notes from November were reviewed but did not require approval.
  8. Treasurer’s Report –JoElyn Brus

Balance is $25,338.15 as of reimbursement 94.  Numbers 95 and 96 need to be submitted.

9. Sub-Committee Reports

  1. Communications Committee- Phillip Erquiaga (Chairperson) – Phillip could not attend but submitted a report via email.  He will post the TA position on the LATAG website once approval is received from the board.  He also provided information about the SAB meetings.
  2. Nomination Committee- LeRoy Thom (Chairperson) – No Report
  3. O&M Attendance Rotation Committee- Mike N./LeRoy T. (Co-chairs) – No report
  4. echnical Advisor Committee- Dr. Brad Black (Chairperson) – Dr. Black reiterated his concern over the composition of the SAB.  It was unanimously agreed upon to send a letter to the City/ County Health Board relaying TAG’s concerns.  This letter will be drafted by tomorrow to present at their meeting.  Dr. Black agreed to follow-up with Terry regarding potential TA replacement.

10. Old Business

  1. Elections:  No new nominations were received.  A declaration was made by the Chair that all nominations would be accepted as they were unopposed.  The declaration was unanimously agreed upon.  The newly elected officers are LeRoy Thom- Vice Chair, Karen Horton- Ad Hoc, and JoElyn Brus- Treasurer.
  2. LATAG Bylaws and Policy and Procedure Manual were reviewed at a previous meeting and changes were suggested. It was unanimously agreed on to accept all proposed changes.

11. New Business

  1. Terry Spear submitted his resignation.  It was unanimously approved that ads should be placed regionally and locally for the TA position.
  2. It was unanimously agreed on that both taxes and payroll should be done by Bruce Zwang, CPA.
  3. It was unanimously agreed on that the contract for the LATAG office will be renewed.

12. Open Discussion (None)

13.   Action items were reviewed and agreed upon.  An executive board meeting was scheduled for Friday, February 17 at noon.

14.   In kind hours were submitted.

15.   The next regular board meeting will be Tuesday March, 6th 2012.

16.   The meeting was ended at 8:10PM

Vermiculite?

Libby Vermiculite Learn what Libby Vermiculite looks like and what to do if you find it on your property.

Learn More

E-Newsletter