Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.
PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923
November 8th, 2012 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes
1. Call to Order at 6:00PM
2. Introductions were made around the room. In attendance for some or all of the meeting were:
- LeRoy Thom, Vice Chair
- Phillip Erquiaga, LATAG
- Tracy McNew, LATAG
- Karen Horton, Ad Hoc
- Brad Black, LATAG
- Eileen Carney, Secretary
- Mike Geisey, CAG
- Donna Martin, LATAG
- Nick Raines, Lincoln County ARP
- Mel Parker, CAG
- Tony Ward, LATAG TA
- Steve Ackerlund, LATAG TA
- Rebecca Thomas, EPA
- John Podolinsky, MDEQ
- Carolyn Rutland, MDEQ
- Christina Progess, EPA
- Nic Pisciotta, CDM
- Stan Christensen, EPA
- Tommy Cook, CDM
- Kara McKenzie, CDM
- Kris Beaudoin, CDM
- Ginny Tribe, CAG
- Kirby Maki, CAG
- Mike Giesey, CAG
3. Meeting minutes were reviewed from October, 2012 and unanimously approved.
4. Treasurer’s report. The reimbursements have been completed by the accountant. They
were signed tonight and will be mailed to EPA tomorrow.
5. Subcommittee reports
- Communications Committee- Eileen and Karen. The newsletter is being passed around for edits and will be submitted to the newspaper.
- Nomination Committee- LeRoy. Nick Raines has an application but no other prospects at this time
- O&M Attendance Rotation Committee- Donna. Nick discussed the meeting yesterday which included Libby Legacy, and EPA report. O&M has not been involved in institutional controls but continues to meet. It is usually attended by the City of Libby, EPA, DEQ, contractors, etc. but very few community members.
- Technical Advisor Committee- Brad. What direction TAG would like to take with TAs was discussed extensively. It was decided that a separate board meeting be scheduled to discuss roles and priorities of the TAG related to our TAs.
6. Special Reports
- TA reports. Steve Ackerlund reported his thoughts about Trihydro’s ABS report. His review was taken from a community perspective and he encouraged community engagement in identification of institutional control options.
- Research Rally/ Symposium reports. Karen reported that the community involvement was low for both events. The presentations and technical aspects of both events were very informative. According to Brad, a larger symposium will be planned next year. The CARD Foundation pointed out that fundraising avenues should be explored to eliminate confusion about a CARD vs. CAG event.
7. Old business
- Community interview questions were received from EPA, but EPA stated that the interviews are confidential and therefore others cannot be invited to participate.
- A separate board meeting will be scheduled to discuss LATAG’s short and long term goals as described above.
- Another website proposal was emailed to the group last week for review.
- Wood burning protocol and request was received and forwarded to Tony Ward. A letter was drafted to EPA requesting that TAG be able to review and submit comments prior to implementation.
- SJLH site sample request EPA. Currently a non-issue due to wet weather
- TA reviews of ARP documents. Comments received from both Tony and Steve on the ABS document, they are still in the process of reviewing the second document.
- Railroad samples document was received from EPA. It was discussed that EPA is reanalyzing the samples and at this time it would not be necessary to have our TAs review.
- Phillip discussed that he would like to stay on the TAG board at this time and will submit his resignation if he is not able to attend moving forward.
8. New business
- It was decided not to have a December TAG meeting because of the holiday season.
9. Review and agreement on action items
10. In kind hours were submitted for November.
11. Next LATAG board Meeting will be decided via email.
12. The meeting was transitioned to CAG at 7:00 pm