Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.
PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923
June 11th, 2013 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes
1.Call To Order at 6:150PM
2.EPA & DEQ reports Highlights:
- Troy landfill wood waste was no detect
- ARP budget negotiations continue this is a grant funded program
- EPA’s annual update mailed to Libby and Troy recently
- EPA has a new Regional Administrator named Shaun McGrath
- Liz Fagen will be working in Libby from mid-June to early September
- There are contaminated homes outside of the NPL boundary that will not be cleaned
OU1: Riverfront Park
- O&M Plan
- Remedial Action Report
- Post Construction Risk Assessment –Summer 2013
OU2: Screening Plant
- Post construction risk assessment- EPA reviewing technical review workgroup (TRW) and MDEQ comments
- O&M Plan
- Interim Actions- removal action to be resumed in June
- Air dispersion/deposition memo – June
- 2013 Eyed Egg Study – repeat initiated on May 4th
- Libby Asbestos Response Plan exercise July 11th –live exercise planned by Lincoln County
OU4: Residential/ Commercial Areas
- Construction: ERS/UDig Update- 27 ERS, ~50 UDig since January 2013
- Construction Update- started May 6th 22 projects in progress, 85 expected
- Remedial Investigation: Data Summary Reports
- 2013 Sampling Program
- Pore water sampling complete with the exception of the Fisher River
OU5: Stimson Lumber
- Remedial Investigation- June
- Fishing Pond will be installed
OU6: BNSF Rail Corridor
- ABS reanalysis underway with results due July 3rd
- Support transition of Troy activities to comprehensive site- wide approach
- Construction this fall: Preparing for at least 15 removals
- Continue ambient air monitoring
- Remedial investigation – draft submitted to EPA for review
OU8: State Highways
- Remedial Investigation - June
3) Meeting minutes from April 2013 were reviewed and approved.
4) Treasurer’s Report
- April reimbursement was $1,238.00
- Grant balance is $43,226.36
- It was discussed that grant renewal should be considered at this time. It was unanimously approved that LATAG should pursue $100,000 grant renewal.
5) Sub-Committee Reports
- Communications Committee- Zach
- Nomination Committee- LeRoy
- O&M Attendance Rotation Committee- Donna
- Technical Advisor Committee- Brad
6) Special Reports
- TA report- Tony Ward explained and answered the board’s questions regarding his written review of the OU1 draft O&M plan.
- CAG forum update
- ARP Report- Nick Rains
ARP has proposed comprehensive program for first few years. Negotiations continue with EPA for funding. Program will be phased in and eventually replace ERS. Hope to begin implementation relatively soon.
NPL site boundaries and EPA beginning to be strict about them were brought up as a concern. Some removals have been done outside of the boundaries and the ARP proposal included a much larger boundary but funds are from EPA so it may not be able to cover these areas.
ARP proposed a large program and EPA has expressed concerns about portions that do not have data to support. Specifically if the board of health concedes on any items being rolled out right now will it make it more difficult to put them back in the program later? A paving program for dusty high traffic areas was one of these topics.
7) Old Business
- GA needed- Zwang will answer by the end of the week.
8) New Business
- It was unanimously approved that the following documents be approved for addition to the LATAG website:
- Review of SAB Comments on EPA’s Toxicological Review of Libby Amphibole Asbestos
- Review of Trihydro’s Report: Land Use Restrictions Report
- Review of USACE and CDM Report: OU1 Draft O&M Plan
- May 14, 2013 Community Forum Session Summary
9) No e-board meeting was scheduled at this time.
10) In kind hours were submitted and Mike will take them to the accountant’s office for submission to EPA.
11) Next LATAG regular board meeting will be July 9, 2013.
12) The meeting was adjourned at 8:10PM.