March 25th, 2014

  • Print
  • Email
Regular Board Meeting

Libby Area Technical Assistance Group, Inc.

PO Box 53 • Libby, MT 59923

March 25th, 2014 • Regular Board Meeting Minutes

In Attendance:

  • Zach McNew, LATAG        
  • Mike Noble, LATAG
  • Tracy McNew, LATAG        
  • Jennifer McCully, ARP
  • Susan Monahan            
  • LeRoy Thom, LATAG
  • Karen Horton, LATAG        
  • Tony Ward, LATAG TA
  • Brad Black, LATAG

1)The meeting was called to order at 6:30PM

2)Meeting minutes from February 2014 were unavailable for review at this time. They will be reviewed at the April meeting along with the March’s meeting.

3)Treasurer’s Report- No Report.

4)Sub-Committee Reports

     a)Communications Committee- Zach

              i.LATAG website tracker shows 77 hits since February with an average of 2.5 minutes spent on the site.

              ii.Zach will follow-up on minutes to be sure that they are posted to the website.

     b)Nomination Committee- LeRoy

             i.No new nominations have been received

     c)O&M Attendance Rotation Committee- Donna

             i.No Report

     d)Technical Advisor Committee- Brad

             i.Brad discussed the background study and a need to assess the science behind this report.

5)Special Reports

      a)TA report (Tony)

             i.Steve put together an agenda with a timeline of action items and submitted it to the TAG recently. Tracy will email Steve and ask him to re-review this with the TAG board at the April meeting.

             ii.Tony’s areas of interest include the background work that has been done by EPA, forest fire related work, and burning of firewood.

                   1.It was unanimously approved by the board to have Tony review the Background study and submit a report regarding scientific sensibility of the study.

                   2.Tony updated the group that EPA would be interested in bringing together local stakeholders in Libby to discuss what should happen in the event of a forest fire in contaminated areas in Libby. Christina Progess expressed interest in putting this together if TAG is interested

                           a.It was unanimously approved by the board to have Tony review all EPA reports regarding forest fire related work and write up a summary of weaknesses and findings. Up to 6 hours has been allotted for this task.

                   3.Asbestos contaminated firewood use being addressed by EPA.

                               a. It was unanimously approved that the TAG make a request to EPA information of firewood burning and recontamination. Tony will follow up on EPA’s

response. The TAG will share these documents with ARP to inform their institutional controls that are being

         b)ARP Report- Jennifer McCully

                 i.ARP currently has a planning grant to submit a DNRC grant that will be aimed at evaluating current data gaps outside of OU3 and filling them in with additional research and evaluation.

                 ii.The EPA has been asked by four different organizations to re-review the Risk Assessment. WR Grace likely was behind a few of these requests, and there is no formal announcement that the Risk Assessment will be delayed or come out this summer as expected.

                 iii.Jennifer discussed concerns about EPA 5-year review questions and whether they are a good indication of successful clean-up and protection of remedy. The sample interviewed was small as well.

                          1.LATAG will write a formal letter to EPA requesting more information regarding these questions. Tracy will work with Jennifer at the ARP to draft this letter.

6) Old Business

         a)None

7)New Business

         a)WR Grace’s OU3 remediation team will give an update at our April TAG meeting. Also they will have an open house to discuss plans for

         b)Karen will review the LATAG bylaws to find out what positions should be up for election this year and subsequent years. Donna Martin will remain interim treasurer until this has been explored.

         c)It was unanimously approved to renew the contract for our office space. LeRoy will take lead on this.

         d)A new GA is needed as Shelly has submitted her resignation. Susan may be interested in the position. Zach will post the position in the three papers and at job service for a week.

8)Open Discussion

         a)TAs roles and responsibilities

9)Review and agreement on action items

10)Submit in kind hours

11)The next LATAG meeting will be April 15th.